1955
Besides the other things that Christmas represents, Christmas is a milestone, a marker on life's journey. It is at the end of the year, and marks its passing. We tend to count time by Christmases, and remember the day clearly out of proportion to other twenty-four hour periods of life. Enough of the rambling--back to the story.
1955 was the first year that Dad and I were aware of each other's existence. We met in October when he asked a classmate of mine to introduce us. Back then it was appropriate to ask for an introduction, so he did. He was a soda jerk at Templeton's Drugstore. It seems he found it interesting that I came into to get cereal and ice cream for breakfast. This was probably my first rebellion, eating disapproved food combinations, especially for breakfast. We had a couple of dates. The first one was to go to a debate between Guy N. Woods and someone else in Sewell Auditorium. We were in Abilene, Texas, where he was a freshman at Abilene Christian College, and I was a junior/senior at Abilene Christian High School. Why we were both there was a different story, but the fact that we were is essential to your existence.
We weren't "together" as the kids now say, by Christmas--in fact, we were not "together" in the sense it is often now used. One of my housemates convinced me that he was a wild man, drinking, drugging, and who knows what else, just a general hoodlum. He wasn't, but I was easily led, and thought he might be too much for me. So we did not share Christmas that year. By the next Christmas we were married and Richard was on the way, but I am jumping ahead here. That was the last year that we were not together. Apparently I began this story in 1979, because that is the year listed on the manuscript. Some projects take a long time to get around to doing.
Enough for this Saturday morning. I must go get cleaned up before the exterminator comes to get rid of the million or so cockroaches that have invaded our home. If you are reading this on the blog, remember that each succeeding post comes up on top, so it will be a backwards story.
1955 was the first year that Dad and I were aware of each other's existence. We met in October when he asked a classmate of mine to introduce us. Back then it was appropriate to ask for an introduction, so he did. He was a soda jerk at Templeton's Drugstore. It seems he found it interesting that I came into to get cereal and ice cream for breakfast. This was probably my first rebellion, eating disapproved food combinations, especially for breakfast. We had a couple of dates. The first one was to go to a debate between Guy N. Woods and someone else in Sewell Auditorium. We were in Abilene, Texas, where he was a freshman at Abilene Christian College, and I was a junior/senior at Abilene Christian High School. Why we were both there was a different story, but the fact that we were is essential to your existence.
We weren't "together" as the kids now say, by Christmas--in fact, we were not "together" in the sense it is often now used. One of my housemates convinced me that he was a wild man, drinking, drugging, and who knows what else, just a general hoodlum. He wasn't, but I was easily led, and thought he might be too much for me. So we did not share Christmas that year. By the next Christmas we were married and Richard was on the way, but I am jumping ahead here. That was the last year that we were not together. Apparently I began this story in 1979, because that is the year listed on the manuscript. Some projects take a long time to get around to doing.
Enough for this Saturday morning. I must go get cleaned up before the exterminator comes to get rid of the million or so cockroaches that have invaded our home. If you are reading this on the blog, remember that each succeeding post comes up on top, so it will be a backwards story.

4 Comments:
Why were y'all both at the same school?
When I was sixteen and lived with my Uncle Herbert and his wife, Elice, they decided to leave Topeka, Kansas, where he preached for the Huntoon and College Church of Christ, and go to Albuquerque, New Mexico to preach for the Pine and Gold Church of Christ. My brother Ed had graduated from Abilene Christian College and my brother Don had graduated from Abilene Christian High School. I realized from the high school catalog that I could graduate with fewer credits in Texas, so I talked H and E into letting me go there and live in the dorm. I did not want to go to New Mexico. I wanted to get away from home. They were good people, but it wasn't my home, and I was in a hurry to grow up. He was in Abilene as a freshman at ACC. It was almost mandatory for Church of Christ kids to go to one of the seven or eight "Christian Colleges" and ACC was the flagship school, as far as we knew. So we were both there. As you may remember from taking that basic sociology course, proximity is the major determinant of who marries whom. Every other factor of necessity follows that essential one.
I noticed you started in 1955. I thought the world began in 1964.
Now, Russell, everyone knows the world didn't start til 1976.
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home