1958
1958:
Nancy came in May. We moved to a little house in the country. ($35 a month.) It had rats. It had a snake—lots of them, actually—but one that poked its head out under the house and I talked to it while I hung clothes, until I found it was not a turtle, like I thought. It was here that the pictures of Richard carrying Dad’s lunch bucket and Nancy with her bottle, smiling so happily, were made. In the fall we moved to a little tiny house in Iowa Park--$45 per month and the smallest house we ever lived in—three rooms and a bath. We lived there at Christmas, and went to East Texas for the holiday. That was when the picture of Richard wearing the football helmet was made. Dad was still in the Air Force, an Airman Second Class. We bought our first new car that year—a ’58 DelRay Chevrolet, to replace the perfectly good 1952 Plymouth we were driving. By Christmas we had sold the Chevrolet and were driving a ’51 Chrysler that threw a rod out on some lonely farm-to-market road between Iowa Park and Burkburnett.
Nancy came in May. We moved to a little house in the country. ($35 a month.) It had rats. It had a snake—lots of them, actually—but one that poked its head out under the house and I talked to it while I hung clothes, until I found it was not a turtle, like I thought. It was here that the pictures of Richard carrying Dad’s lunch bucket and Nancy with her bottle, smiling so happily, were made. In the fall we moved to a little tiny house in Iowa Park--$45 per month and the smallest house we ever lived in—three rooms and a bath. We lived there at Christmas, and went to East Texas for the holiday. That was when the picture of Richard wearing the football helmet was made. Dad was still in the Air Force, an Airman Second Class. We bought our first new car that year—a ’58 DelRay Chevrolet, to replace the perfectly good 1952 Plymouth we were driving. By Christmas we had sold the Chevrolet and were driving a ’51 Chrysler that threw a rod out on some lonely farm-to-market road between Iowa Park and Burkburnett.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home