Wednesday, March 01, 2006

Poppy and His Newest Gulbransen


Dad, Dave, Poppy is playing one of two organs in our living room. I love to hear him play it.

There is also a piano, a large pit group sitting place, a recliner, a dining room table, a large china cabinet, and about six other pieces of furniture.

Do we live in a large home? No. Does it look and feel like a furniture/musical instrument warehouse? Yes.

14 Comments:

Blogger David Broadus said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

Thu Mar 02, 06:24:00 PM 2006  
Blogger David Broadus said...

Years ago I worked with a man who supplemented his airline income by playing the organ at local Houston funeral homes.

Perhaps Dave could consider that, to add to his stable of multifarious jobs he takes in the area. I know the choices are somewhat limited, but the Black Funeral Homes surely need organ players along with the Sullivans.

Thu Mar 02, 06:29:00 PM 2006  
Blogger David R. Snow said...

Has actually considered that, or at least working in them, but usually to bury the ones with a preacher/pastor deficit, which he does on a regular basis.

Thu Mar 02, 07:23:00 PM 2006  
Blogger David R. Snow said...

Thank you Ed.

Tue Mar 07, 01:27:00 PM 2006  
Blogger David Broadus said...

Proverbs 14:23 (New American Standard Bible)

In all labor there is profit,
But mere talk leads only to poverty.

Tue Mar 07, 07:54:00 PM 2006  
Blogger David R. Snow said...

Hey, it is fine with me--like I said, I love to hear him play it. And it is my fault the place is full of stuff, not his.

Tue Mar 07, 09:22:00 PM 2006  
Blogger David Broadus said...

Say what? That sounds like a non-sequiter to me...

Tue Mar 07, 09:46:00 PM 2006  
Blogger David R. Snow said...

Probably is. I got to the polling place at 6 a.m., got home at 8 p.m., and I probably am brain dead. I will think more clearly tomorrow, and then maybe I will tell you what I meant, if I can remember.

Tue Mar 07, 09:49:00 PM 2006  
Blogger David Broadus said...

I did not vote. I can't vote in the primary because I want to sign a petition for Kinky Freidman for governor, and I have to be an Independent to do that.

Tue Mar 07, 10:03:00 PM 2006  
Blogger David Broadus said...

Yes, I am supporting Kinky. I like him. He is independent--disagrees with Bush on some points and agrees with him on others, but he is never hateful and is not prone to stupid comments that have no basis in fact.

I think we could use some fresh blood in the Governor's mansion, and I don't like either of the major party candidates.

I am a Notary, and he is looking for Notarys to notarize signatures at the petition drives. I may just go volunteer.

As for the Proverbs qoute, I call a truce. Getting into a Bible verse war with you would be endless and pointless. I think we should heed Paul's warning in Galatians 5:15:
"But if you bite and devour one another, beware lest you be consumed by one another!"

Wed Mar 08, 10:01:00 AM 2006  
Blogger David Broadus said...

P.S. Having said the previous, I would point out that playing the organ at funerals would hardly bring great wealth, nor should one assume it would bring turmoil.

Wed Mar 08, 10:04:00 AM 2006  
Blogger David R. Snow said...

I taught myself (with a little help from my talented mate) to play keyboard. I have been fooling with organs since the 60s, but in the last 10 years I have found that an ability to play the simpler gospel songs like Amazing Grace and Old Rugged Cross (all in the key of C) ib a piano or keyboard in a nursing home setting is a very calming influence for those souls trapped in said circumstances, and it ministers to them. So, if I have any success in playing, it is finally being able to bless people with my music, an ability that I strongly bellieve has been granted to me by the Father for use in His work.

The pay is abundant and plentieous! It comes in the currency of JoY!

And--I might vote for a yellow dog democrat, or even Kinky in lieu of Perry.

Wed Mar 08, 10:10:00 AM 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great turmoil? Hmm, nice description of the sounds I produced trying to play the Great Organ in Mackay Hall at Boulder! Speaking for myself alone, I am a parasitic person who plays entirely for my own selfish pleasure. Probably just as well. The other day my teacher said, "You know, your Mozart is almost...ALMOST (his emphasis)... pleasant to listen to." I count that his most encouraging statement in, oh, going on 6 years now....

Wed Mar 08, 11:23:00 AM 2006  
Blogger David Broadus said...

Betty

I give you credit for pressing on in the face of such biting sarcasm.
What a trooper!

MOZART ROCKS!

Wed Mar 08, 12:37:00 PM 2006  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home