Leaving Home
This was written after I got home from the bus station on the date listed below. For a parent the moment of departure from a child is often stamped indelibly in the memory. It may be one of the most bittersweet moments of a child’s life. I realize that by this time he was not a child, but a “child” in the sense of son or daughter, which never changes.
12/29/77
Our firstborn left today.
So short the time has been, and so much we wanted to do. Not the first to leave, he of the late-blooming variety, but maybe the tender one anyway, the one that it would be easy for the world to bruise.
Excited? Who knows, but he probably is. He doesn’t show it, except maybe to make an extra comment now and again.
And what do you say in the last five minutes before the bus leaves? I love you? If he doesn’t know that by now, it’s of no use to say it. Be good? The Navy will tell him what to do, rules that have little to do with what I could tell him. Write? He will.
So we sat, and talked about the bus being late and how he will get to the hotel, and I notice the mixture of excitement and apprehension in his eyes. Of all those moments that stick in a mother’s mind, this may be equal to any.
Birds and children fly away, and he is gone.
12/29/77
Our firstborn left today.
So short the time has been, and so much we wanted to do. Not the first to leave, he of the late-blooming variety, but maybe the tender one anyway, the one that it would be easy for the world to bruise.
Excited? Who knows, but he probably is. He doesn’t show it, except maybe to make an extra comment now and again.
And what do you say in the last five minutes before the bus leaves? I love you? If he doesn’t know that by now, it’s of no use to say it. Be good? The Navy will tell him what to do, rules that have little to do with what I could tell him. Write? He will.
So we sat, and talked about the bus being late and how he will get to the hotel, and I notice the mixture of excitement and apprehension in his eyes. Of all those moments that stick in a mother’s mind, this may be equal to any.
Birds and children fly away, and he is gone.

5 Comments:
Just discovered this a couple of days ago, then read through and this one was especially good. What precious memories......how they linger.....!
I'm glad to see you keep adding things on here...btw, have I been disowned? Enscussions no longer shows up on my dashboard on blogger.com and it won't let me access the site unless I go through your blog first and then I cannot post because it says I am not a member...
Sam: I can't speak for Amy, but probably so. That is just the way it is. The event is the same, but the two participants are looking from very different perspectives.
When Amy left home, I was not as apprehensive as when the two older boys left, because they went to the Navy, which was much more an unknown, and far, far away. Amy just went to Austin, and was happy because they had just been married. It is a good thing that we can't see the future, because if I could have seen what was ahead for any of them, I would have been horrified.
The very worst parting was when Russell went off to Saudi Arabia by himself. Others kept telling me that he wasn't dead, which apparently was the way I reacted, but I was just scared.
As a parent, I wanted to see each of my kids grow and do whatever they felt life was leading them to do, so that part is good. As a parent, I had invested many years in raising each child, and when that change comes, it has some sadness mixed with the excitement of watching them go their own ways.
That still doesn't tell you if that is the way Amy felt. She could tell you.
Love,
Granny
Ashley
I was doing some maintenance on the Enscussions Blog and I may have accidently deleted you. It did not affect any of your previous posts, and I have sent you a new invitation.
It was not intentional or personal--I appreciate the things you post. It was more likely Operator Head Space as we say in the Computer Biz.
Thank y'all for adding me back. Granny, I just re-read this post and for some reason started crying. This bothers me because I happen to be in a public computer lab at the moment...anyway keep posting on here, I am a loyal (if infrequent) reader.
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home